Sunday, November 9, 2008

yes, we did!

Tuesday, November 4th, was election day. I had already sent in my absentee ballot the previous Friday, so there wasn't much for me to do. Beginning in the afternoon, I began to monitor the internet news, but there really wasn't much going on yet.

It wasn't until I got home that the results were really beginning to come in. It was exciting. When they called Pennsylvania and Ohio, i knew it was pretty much over. We did it! Obama won! I was so excited, I began to do a victory dance.

I was talking to my friend in the Philippines about it, and I turned on my videocam so she could watch what I was watching on tv. She got to see my victory dance. lol. I stayed up to watch MCcain's concession speech and Obama's victory speech. It was amazing to see all those people in grant park. I wanted to remember the moment, so i took some pics of my tv. lol.

I went to bed happy with the knowledge that my candidate won. (I don't think I was a citizen yet when we were having elections for Clinton's second term, so I've pretty much been on the losing end in the elections in which I've participated.)

The following morning, though, I found out that Proposition 8 still hadn't been called, but it looked like it was going to pass. I couldn't really savor Obama's victory with the knowledge that Prop. 8 was going to pass. California voters voted to give rights to their food (Prop. 2), but voted to take away the rights of friends and neighbors. The results were very bittersweet.

We can't do much about the results right now, but opponents of Prop. 8 are going to fight on. And we can take some comfort in the change that's about to take place on the national level.

Si, se puede! Yes, we can!

No comments: